Background

Thursday, March 27, 2014

TBT: My Sweet Puppy Jo-Jo

When I was growing up we had a yellow lab/chow mix! Haha yes it was a yellow dog with a purple tongue! She was a rescue dog that my wonderful wonderful mother nursed back to health :) Harley Jo was quite the character. She could dig/pull herself out of any restraint you put her in! She was a fighter from day one! (We think she may have been abandoned by an abusive owner) We live out of town on a hill, so she basically considered the entire neighborhood her territory. She would run "the loop" all day long. She was very smart, and never got hit by a car thankfully, but she did suffer from epilepsy most of her life with us. She started having seizures when I was really young. I don't remember when, but I will never forget how terrifying they were to watch. She would shake and make noise, and we all felt so helpless. When she would come out of them, she would be very disoriented, so my parents taught us kids to leave her alone. We would let her wander the house until she realized where she was and felt comfortable again. We gave her medicine twice a day down her throat. It was just something we had to do. I didn't even realize it was a big deal until I got older. Anyways, as time went on her seizures got worse and worse. Finally when we were on vacation, and Harley was boarding at the vet, she suffered from her last seizure. We were so sad to not have said goodbye, but it was peaceful to know that we didn't have to watch her suffer. The vet had become a family friend by that point, so he was very good to her. Harley was my best friend. She was never a cuddly dog. She was actually pretty afraid of just about all humans. She was never dangerous or aggressive, but she liked her space. However, she was my buddy. When I would cry, she would come in my room and lay down. She would let me hug her. I could lay there and cry with her for who knows how long. Eventually I would feel better and get up. She never nuzzled back, but she was always there for me.

After Harley died I immediately started asking for a new dog. My dad always said no. We didn't have time for a dog, we live out of town, and are hardly ever home. My brother and I were both in high school, and then he was gone to college. Sports and school activities kept our family very busy! The family restaurant only added to our crazy schedules. Despite everything working against me, I kept asking! I would look up dogs online constantly, but there was NO WAY my dad would pay for a pet! haha One day a family friend posted some puppies online. They were being sold by a neighbor of hers in Bozeman. I showed them to my parents. My mom was always on my side, but my dad continued to say no. A few day later she posted another picture saying there were still a couple dogs left, and the owner couldn't care for them. They were FREE now! Oh man I begged and begged and begged! In the end, my dad still said no, we don't have time for a dog!

My parents headed to Bozeman sometime soon after. I think it was just a typical grocery and errands trip. Josh needed to ride to Bozeman to get something done with his car. I can't remember all of the details now. Turns out they were going to pick up the puppy! I was at home, completely out of the loop! That night before my parents got home, I went to town to hang out with Josh. We watched a movie and hung out for a while. Usually I would stay pretty late just visiting and whatever, but this night I decided to head home around 9. Josh didn't say anything either way, and I never even thought anything of it. When I walked in the door, my dad was holding the puppy! AHHHHH He was the most wonderful thing I had ever seen! He was so cute just sleeping. I immediately picked him up and snuggled him! It was one of the happiest moments of my life!! I called Josh right after because he knew ALL NIGHT and didn't tell me! For that I was glad, but I also wished he would have sent me home earlier so I could snuggle that little guy :) I started googling names for dogs. Everything sounded kind of weird when I would say it to him. Finally I found Jo-Jo, and when I said it to him he winked at me! It was the cutest little thing, and I knew that was the name for him :) He winks all of the time now, but it was the perfect sign I need to name him! I call him Puppy just as much if not more than Jo-Jo! He is getting to be an old man now, but he will always be Puppy to me :) 
His first toy - and he still plays with it!





Morning nap time :)

Santa suit! Dec. 2011
Shortly after we got him, reality set in that he was actually my parents dog! I stayed up with him the first night, but after that my mom basically trained him :) I did as much as I could while I was home, but she shuttled him around with her all day until he was old enough to stay home alone. He also became my dad's little buddy.
Selfie with my dad! haha
They play together every night, and when he is ready for a nap its usually on my dad's lap. As much as my dad resisted a new dog, he sure does love that little guy! When he is ready for bed at night he wines at my mom until she goes to bed with him. Every morning they sit together while Jo-Jo takes his morning nap and my mom drinks her coffee. Although they have their schedules set, he still loves when I come to visit! He gets so excited he runs circles around the living room until he finally collapses. He also sings! One day my dad and I were watching an episode of House. At the end, House is playing the piano and harmonica. All of the sudden Jo-Jo just started howling! It was the craziest thing! He went from sleeping to howling!! My dad rewound the clip over and over. He sings to it every time he hears it! I wish I had a video to upload, but it is not with me. Some day I will get around to it :) I miss that little guy so much!!! I can't wait to see him in a couple months!!!

He got expelled from PetSmart
halfway through his haircut!
Poor guy looks terrible!
That's better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Come back soon :)