Background

Thursday, March 13, 2014

TBT - Our Proposal

I don't ever do Throw Back Thursday (TBT) on Facebook, so I thought I would try it out on the blog! How fun would it be to write an old post every Thursday?? We'll see how it goes! Today I am going to cheat a little :) I wrote about our proposal within days so I could post it on our website. I am SO glad I did! I already forgot some of the little stuff, and I probably wouldn't write it anything like this today! Every time I read it I get butterflies all over again :) I am going to copy and paste it here (it is the italicized section), but I will add a few photos and other memories too :) 

Josh and I had discussed that it was really important for both of us that he ask my dad's permission for my hand in marriage. I had no idea when or how he might ask him, but I knew he would be a man about it :) I remember talking to my mom about marrying Josh one time, and my dad asked me when we were going to get engaged. I said, "I don't know. You tell me. You will know before I do!" That was as far as my knowledge of our engagement went. I would bug Josh from time to time, but he was much more level headed and relaxed about our impending future :) When the time came for Josh to ask my dad, I totally knew it was happening. We were all at my house for Thanksgiving break. My dad and brother had been hunting off and on, but since Josh and I had Utah licenses we couldn't hunt. I kept telling my dad that Josh wanted to go hunting with him even though he couldn't shoot anything. My dad just brushed it off because it isn't too high on his priority list anymore. Finally Josh says, "Robbie, do you want to go for a drive?" (His voice was shaking and he sounded SO nervous!) I was behind the couch, so I couldn't see Josh's face when he said it. I immediately knew what he meant! Josh finishes by saying, "To look for elk." My dad says yeah lets leave around X o'clock. Josh says ok I will be ready. I looked up at both of my parents, but neither one seemed suspicious of any behavior. I decided I was totally reading into it, and I needed to just relax. (I was marriage hungry for quite some time already :) 
I later found out how that drive went! They didn't see any animals, but Josh wouldn't have seen them anyways. He was so nervous! He was fidgety and quite the ENTIRE drive! He kept telling himself, "OK say it now." Finally when they were driving up the 1 mile long dirt road to my house Josh finally says, "Robbie..can I..ask..for your..for Janae'..for your blessing..and Janae's hand……. My dad finally started to giggle and said, "Josh, I would be honored to have you marry my daughter!" Josh just said, "OK, thank you." Josh had this big speech planned out. He was going to say all of these nice things, and be so calm. I guess true love really does rattle the spirit :) My dad later said that he thought Josh was so nervous he might pass out. He knew the entire drive that something was up. He could hardly contain his own laughter, but he knew this was Josh's moment to do as he pleased. Josh doesn't even remember saying anything. He was so glad my dad finally said yes! I wouldn't have wanted the conversation between my dad and Josh to go any differently. It fit both of their personalities so well, and it brings a big smile to my face every time I think about it =D

For those of you who know us well, it will come as no surprise that coffee was involved! We have been dating for nearly 5 years, and we have habitually recognized our monthly "anniversary" date the entire time (May 4th, 2008).  
So, the story begins...
Josh asked me to go out to a fancy dinner for an early "anniversary" date. We love to get all dressed up and act all lovey dovey anyways, so it was perfect :) We went to Elements, a nice restaurant here in Logan.  We had our meal, and decided to order dessert. Josh got up to use the restroom, but he walked towards the kitchen instead :) I had a feeling something special was coming, but I would never have guessed what he had up his sleeve! When he returned he told me he found the waitress to order our dessert and coffee (this was really special since we are usually too cheap to order drinks when we go out!). When the waitress returned, she set down the most amazing chocolate raspberry cheesecake we had ever seen! I was peeking over the tray, and there was no ring on top! I was so disappointed. However, the best was yet to come. She set Josh's coffee down, and then mine. His spoon was on his plate, and my spoon was in my coffee. That is when he got down on one knee :) I pulled the spoon out of my coffee to see "Will you marry me?" engraved, and my ring was hanging on it!!! Josh grabbed my hand, told me he loved me, and asked me to marry him! I started crying and immediately said yes! We hugged, ate our cheesecake, and tried to decide how to tell our parents!
(They all live in different places!) 
In all our giddy, I managed to forget the spoon on the table! We were blocks away, and I panicked. I was too embarrassed to go back in and admit my mistake, so my handsome man gladly stepped up :) 
That is where all the joy, happiness, and crazy whirlwind of spreading the news began :) That is our story, and I wouldn't change it for the world! 

I told Josh I really wanted to tell my parents in person so I could see their reaction. There was NO WAY I was going to wait till they came to Logan in a week 
(I was convinced this would be when Josh would pop the question - I was wrong! He insisted on surprising me…without an audience! He said he was way too nervous to do it with family around hehe)
We decided Skype would just have to do. We raced back to my apartment and got my computer all ready. (Giggling included! :) I called my mom to tell her to turn on her computer…. They were in Bozeman!!!!! I said ok well drive safe and I will just talk to you when you get home. (I was so calm she had no idea I was even calling to tell her anything.) 
NOOOO how could I possibly wait 2 hours to tell my mom I was marrying the love of my life?? So I said ok Josh how about we text a picture to her and then she will call back and I can just talk to her? It was better than waiting 2 hours, but I was a little disappointed that I wouldn't see her face. We took a picture of the spoon with the ring on it, text it to her, and waited…and waited… and waited. I felt like it was taking FOREVER to send!! I knew they would be entering the canyon soon and would lose cell service. I called back right away and said tell dad to pull over right now. I said I have to send you a picture of what I found in my drink tonight, and you will never believe it. I made it sound really gross. (My parents own a restaurant, so it is our "family tradition" to critique every place we go.) 
My mom says ok its not coming through. I said well let's hang up and maybe it will work then. So we did. The waiting begins again! I swear it had only been 2 seconds when the phone rings :) I answer and here my mom screaming OH MY GOD! AHHHH!! Janae' what is this!!! I can't believe it! The half laughing/half crying/half screaming/half whatever other emotion you can hear over the phone continued for some time :) I was so happy I couldn't even breath! My cheeks were hurting from smiling, my hands were tired from squeezing Josh, I can't even describe the joy that was running through my veins! At this point my mom finally turns to my dad to see his reaction, and he was calm and collected :) He was just smiling and so happy that my mom and I were having that moment together! My mom was mad to find out that he already knew it was coming, but then she understood how much better the surprise was :) 
After we got off the phone with my parents, we got in the car to drive to Brigham City. Josh's dad and stepmom live there, and we were so glad to be able to tell some of our parents in person :) We called them to make sure they would still be awake (it was already after 8pm). We told them we missed them and wanted to come over for a visit. As we were driving we called all of the other people we wanted to tell before putting it on Facebook. That was the quickest drive to BC we have ever had! After we told Gary and Raylene, they took pictures of us. I am so glad they did! Now I can remember what we looked like that night :)

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the idea of throw back Thursday on your blog!!!! Keep doing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke I'm thinking you should probably do TBT too! :)

      Delete
  2. This was such a special night for all of us, we were finally getting another daughter. I'm so glad we got to be a small part of that night. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful night! So glad we got to share it with you guys :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Come back soon :)