Background

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Knitting Keeps Me From Unraveling

My mom has always told me I have an old soul. When I was younger that was one thing that made me feel like I had something to grasp on to. I remember this being one of my very first obsessions (that I remember anyways). I always preferred to be around adults. I am the youngest of "my group" of cousins on both sides of the family. I was either getting teased for being the baby, or I could sit and watch all of the adults talk. I found the adults much more fascinating! Some call it eavesdropping… I like to call it free entertainment!

Touring Yellowstone
with Grandpa Ron & Ash
One of my favorite memories of my Grandpa Ron was when he came to visit after my Grandma died. I don't remember seeing them very often when I was growing up because they lived in North Dakota. My dad's parents died when he was in high school, so I never knew them either. I liked the idea of grandparents, but I never really understood what all of the mesmerization was about. For me it was just the people I had to call on Christmas and say thank you too. Looking back I wish my heart was as advanced as my mind so I could have appreciated every moment I had with them. 
Anyways back to the original story… my grandpa came out to West to visit. I don't remember why, but I guess it was a big deal. (I am sure my memory is wrong, but this is how I remember it.) When we had company my bed was the designated guest bed. (Eww who would want to sleep in Jesse's bed aka a boy's bed!) So naturally my place was on the floor next to my mom's side of their bed. (ugh!) Well this particular visit from Grandpa I remember convincing my mom that I was old enough to sleep out on the couch this time. I promised I would go to sleep right away even though the adults were still sitting there visiting. This is where I get back to grasping onto the idea that I should have an old soul… I was so mesmerized by listening to my grandpa talk. I kept opening my eyes to look at him even though I really was tired. I don't remember how the rest of that visit went or even that night, but one way or another my grandpa stuck up for me and told my mom to let me stay there :) At that moment I finally understood what grandparents were all about. So this was what everyone else felt when they talked about their grandparents. That is a long introduction to this post, but the whole purpose of this blog is to remember the little things, appreciate life for all it is worth, and to grasp on to every little detail we can :)

From that memory forward I did all I could to hold onto the idea my mom had placed in my heart.    
~ I have an old soul ~    
I always strive for things beyond my age. I look for the story in everyones eyes. I open my heart to every one else's concerns. This is who I am. It wasn't always a good thing, and I still have to stop myself from growing up too fast all too often. That is why I married my best friend. We are opposites in so many ways, and I truly feel that Josh has saved my youth. Without him I have no idea where I would be today. I am sure I would have found gray hair and sun spots by now :)
Ok back on track again! My old soul mantra has led me to grasp the joys of knitting!
My current yarn supply!
Just the stuff in NC of course!

I am far too impatient to follow a pattern, but there is something so satisfying about making something out of yarn. I take skeins of varying colors. Wrap it around my sacred needles. Sit in pure joy and peace for the duration of that particular project. Do my share of complaining of boredom. Then suddenly I bind off, weave in the ends, and bask in the joy I have for my creation. Ok I know that got a little spiritual, but remember, I have been finishing a new book nearly every other day for the past 2 months! Words are flowing through my head in sentences of perfect construction and detail. But really that is how I feel about this "ancient" craft. I am glad to know it is making a comeback! I feel less and less weird every time I am knitting in public. 
My knitting bag containing
my current project -
this goes with me everywhere :) 
I actually ask Josh permission for when I can and cannot knit in public. (Not in a controlling sort of way…in a please help me stay sane sort of way :)





As I type this post I am enjoying a wonderful cup of tea in my new favorite mug! Thank you post Christmas sales at JoAnn's! $1.99 yes please! Hence the post title :) I would like to share a few of my projects that I have completed lately. As stated earlier I have no patience to follow patterns. I think about what I want to make, I look up patterns, read through a few of them, and then I just wing it! I know my fellow knitters are cringing at this very thought!! Call me crazy, but the stress of learning proper technique totally takes the fun out of it for me! I am a perfectionist after all :) If I don't know how to be perfect there is no need to worry about perfection right? Maybe that is just what I tell myself :)  I am sure I will eventually find the desire to make something so beautiful I can't wing it, and I will bite the bullet. For now I will keep enjoying the peace it brings me!

Gary's camo blanket

Crib size blanket, hat & booties
Recipient…yet to be determined

One of my favorites!
Blanket, booties, beanie (with & bow),
& diaper cover (also with a bow!)
Recipient… yet to be determined!

Josh's 49ers blanket
This is the one item I have
knit that I actually get to use :)
My Mom's "car blanket"
You can't tell, but it is super soft!

….(Insert whispered voice here)… Friends and Family, please continue to humor me and accept the gifts I make you. I spend way too many hours on my creations to feel even the slightest guilt for giving them away. Do as you like with them, just know they are truly made from the heart!

3 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes! Keep the posts coming! :) by the way.... I LOVED the booties you made Oakley before she was born! Cutest.ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! P.S. I don't think I ever told you this... But you can string a piece of yarn thepugh the booties and make them a Christmas ornament if you no longer use them :) just a thought!

      Delete
  2. Those blankets look sooooo cozy <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Come back soon :)