Background

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Curiosity Meets Crochet

I never thought the day would come... I have said from day one of my knitting journey that I was a knitter. However, it seems all of the yarn projects I like are crochet! I am a little sad, yet extremely excited that I have officially crossed over into the crochet territory! My curiosity of this simple art got the better of me!! I have always said that I learned to knit first, and that I would just stick with it. Those of you who read Knitting Keeps Me From Unraveling know that I am way too stubborn to learn how to read patterns... (for knitting that is!) I was curious to do something crafty with what I already have.... yarn and crochet hooks :) After a few hours of reading/watching tutorials from Anneliese with Aesthetic Nest, and an evening of practice with a lot of swatches... I have learned how to crochet :) I have a lot of time and practice ahead of me, but I have successfully completed my first knit posie from her tutorials. I am proud to say I have read AND FOLLOWED the pattern start to finish! I am excited to see what else might come from this new craft :)


There are a few reasons why I am willing to admit I like crochet...
1. It is much lighter on the hands and wrists (needles with a ton of stitches are heavy!)
2. There are so many ways to add to your projects (borders, ear flaps, lengthen with a few extra rows, etc.)
3. Flowers are way too tough on knitting needles (and my eyes!)
4. What you see is what you get with crochet! (knitting doesn't exactly take shape until the end :/)
5. The "tail" of your original chain stays that way! (I have ripped out and recast-on so many times for knitting!)
6. I already had crochet hooks to weave in knitting projects anyways, so I may as well use them for what they are for!




UPDATE!!!!!
I made my first slouchy beanie ever :)
It is tween girl size, but I had to show it off!
Special thanks to Gleeful Things for the pattern! I used size I hook and a really light weight yarn to make it a little smaller (...and that is just what i had on hand :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Come back soon :)